Sunday, February 28, 2010

Foo Foo Tei, Hacienda Heights

I'm a little late with this post, please forgive me, but here goes. This place has got to be the best noodle house I have ever been to. I've been here four times, and it just keeps getting better. I will in future re order the ramen I have already sampled on past visits so that I may review it for you and post it to this site.

15018 Clark Ave Hacienda Heights, Ca. (626)937-6585
What made this trip so special is the fact that my wife Jan came with me, loved it, and said she would come again, that's huge. As you have already read, if you are a follower of the blog, she didn't exactly like her experience at Gomen, Stanton. And the list of places she will no longer go is growing. So I will start the review portion of this post by saying she had the #30 ramen, Curry Nanchatte, and liked it very much. When a hot steaming bowl of Japanese curry comes within ten feet, you notice. And to me, it has to be one of the most pleasant aromas on earth. Since it was her experience and not mine, I'll not go further than that, except to say that I have had this ramen before and it did not disappoint.

If you read my welcome post to this blog you'll see I made mention of a commitment to push the envelope and try things that I might not otherwise, in order that I might write a more interesting, and comprehensive blog, ramen wise. And with 32 ramen on the menu, there is a lot to choose from. To that end I chose the ramen I ate this trip by the eenie meenie minee moe, catch a ramen chef by the toe method. As a result I ended up with the #4 Torikara ramen. With this ramen you have your choice of base, and as you might have guessed if you read this blog, I'm a sucker for shoyu, so that's what I went with. In keeping with my mission, and mission statement, the next time I have this ramen it will be a different base, to experience all the combos of ramen possible at this, or any location. Anyway, this ramen has chicken wings, bean sprouts, onions and hanjuku egg. I'm not really a bean sprout fan so I removed a few, but the ones I left, and ate, weren't that bad, very fresh. The chicken wings are treated in a peculiar way. The meat is pushed out to the end of the bone in such a way as to make then look like drumsticks. The broth was the usual great quality, and the noodles were loose with out being mushy, just the way I like them. The chicken was quite good as well, but I wished there was just a little more to them. I know they are just wings and I shouldn't expect too much. And I suppose if they added another one it might throw of the balance and synergy between ingredients. So on balance I guess the extra chicken craving was just me being a pig. Hello, have you met me yet? On the whole I did leave well filled however. Because the ramen was pretty large, and we did have gyoza, which are phenomenal by the way. Can't wait for my next trip to Foo Foo Tei.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home