Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chabuya, westside L.A.

Had to work in Beverly Hills today. So I decided to consult the,"Ramen Data Base" otherwise known as GoRamen.com, props to Keizo-san for compiling such a comprehensive list of most Ramen-ya known to mankind. I looked to see which Ramen-ya was the closest to where I was working, and it turned out to be Chabuya, 2002 Sawtelle Blvd. Los Angeles, 90025 (310)473-1013

I need to say up front that I did not have time to sit and eat, I took my ramen to go, which may have effected the outcome.

For a base line on the place I chose the first, and most basic ramen, on the menu, The Classic. It looked like a Tonkotsu shoyu, but the broth tasted like a shio. The menma was like rubber, and the negi was as good as absent. The chashu didn't even look like pork, it looked and tasted like roast beef. The noodles weren't half bad, but not good enough to rescue the experience. My God, listen to me, am I becoming a ramen snob? On the bright side, the gyoza were very nice, so nice in fact that I couldn't resist eating them by hand in the truck on the way back to the job. Nice and garlicy, the way I like them.

Anyway, because of the, "to go" status of the visit, coupled with the fact that the only other thing I tried was the gyoza, and that was an out of the park homer, I'll not judge them harshly enough to say that I'll never return. Because the gyoza is such a bargain at $3.75 for six, and because they have much more on the menu to consider, I'd go again when in the area, if only for the gyoza.

My son says I should have a rating system of some kind going forward. So for this first review, I hereby institute the six chopstick system. One being a no return, and six being a V-8 firing on all cylinders. All things considered, Chabuya gets three chopsticks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home